Monday, January 12, 2009

What is Resolution Season to the Dadaist?

Welcome gang to the new blog; as per usual, I'm never sure exactly how to start these things or the new year, so I'm going to wax philosophic for the time being, and end it with a list of brand new books. Charming, isn't it?

So it's now officially been one year sense I was hospitalized, both times, and looking back I feel a sense of reticence and possibly shame; a part of me wishes that I could have been more proactive this past year however, that's the perfectionist in me while the realist is far more forgiving.

But what of the Dadaist?

For years now I've had a mild interest (read: obsession with) Dadaism, particularly the ideology and literature, not so much the art. Fundamentally one could say Dadaism has helped me in the darkest moments of my life, when I feel very alone or very anxious I calm myself with manifestos and mantras. Of these collections I've gathered through the years, I have subsequently dissected, bissected and molested the words until their meaning, warped though it may be, imprinted itself upon my psyche: life is a laugh, we're not here very long, and seriousness is for those who wish to waste the time they do have. Guilt, shame, honor, all of those are social constructs meant to manipulate and control (this latter part being mixed liberally with Marxism of course) and they serve no true purpose other than to obfuscate goals, dreams and ideas.

Anyhow, that long digression was me aiming at the fact that this year is a year of optimism for me, a year of laughter, and above all a year of progress but on my terms. Rather than holding myself to the carefully measured, weighed and dictated societal milestones I'm making my own, and taking Frosts proverbial untrod wood toward wherever I decide to go.

Beyond that, this year I'm going to finally figure out exactly what to do to wrap up my physical issues. I've more or less gotten my mental illness under my thumb, now I need to conqure what the rest of my organs are throwing at me. The end of the week I'm discussing the probability of polycystic ovary syndrom with an Endrocrynologist, and we're moving on from there; also doing physical therapy with someone who, will wonders never cease, actually listens to me and cares that I'm progressing.

To wrap this party up, I'm going to list all the brand new books I gathered this holiday season, which I will be subsiquently reviewing here for your perview. I also plan on throwing in some films and possibly plays. Sundry other items of discussion will include my trip to the Netherlands (planning definetly, although I may have a seperate blog for the trip itself) photography, creative and non-fiction writing and drawings.

-Lauran


The Fires of Vesuvius- Pompeii Lost and Found, Mary Beard
Four Queens- The Provençal Sisters who Ruled Europe, Nancy Goldstone
The Fourth Deadly Sin, Lawrence Sanders
Girl Singer- An Autobiography, Rosemary Clooney
Half Broken Things, Morag Joss
The Mad Monk of Gidleigh, Michael Jecks
The Maltese Falcon, Dashiell Hammett
The Meaning of Night - A confession, Michael Cox
My Mistress’s Sparrow is Dead - Great Love Stories, Edited by Jeffrey Eugenides
On a Dark Night I Left my Silent House, Peter Handke
On a Raven’s Wing, Edited by Stuart M. Kaminsky
Out, Natsuo Kirino
The Pandora Prescription, James Sheridan
Santa Clawed, Rita Mae Brown & Sneaky Pie Brown
Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson
Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Friedrich Nietzsche
To Hold The Crown- The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York, Jean Plaidy

No comments:

Post a Comment